Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Servant's Faith

I always enjoy the story of Isaac and Rebekah.  Today however, I enjoyed the story of Abraham and his servant!  Genesis 24

The story goes something like this... Abraham wants a wife for his son.  He instructs his servant to go out and find her and bring her back to Isaac to marry.  The servant is perhaps a little aprehensive when he says, "Peradventure the woman will not be willing to follow me unto this land..." Gen 24:5.  In other words, "Perhaps she doesn't want to come back with me and marry Isaac?".  Abraham encourages the servant that the Lord his God will send his angel to go before him....And thou shalt take a wife unto my son from thence." Gen 24:7

How do I apply this to my life I asked myself?

When I read about servants and masters in scripture, I picture employees and employers. I don't work outside the home anymore; however,  I am to follow my husband's lead, as a servant would to his master.

For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the savior of the body.  Ephesians 5:23 

Often times we don't understand just exactly what our "master's" vision is or how it's going to work out.  "Peradventure, I listen to my husband's advice and things don't go as I would like for them to?" :) 

I think one of the lessons we can learn from this story is, Isaac get's the girl!  The servant obeyed his master even if he wasn't so sure of the outcome.  Rebekah is more than willing to go with the servant back to marry Isaac.  In fact, when she saw Isaac  she "lit off her camel"! Gen 24:64  All things worked out for good.  The servant obeyed and God rewarded him for his obedience.



Even more so, I believe this applies to our obedience to the Lord, Jesus Christ.  He is our master and we are His servants.  We don't always understand His direction or the circumstances He has allowed in our lives or direction but we can be sure that without faith, it is impossible please Him. Hebrews 11:6

When I read the story of Abraham's servant I see great faith!  Like Noah, "being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house". Heb 11:7  Like Abraham, who offered up his son Isaac. Heb 11:17 

Hebrews chapter 11 gives us many examples of faith through out history and things that would not have been able to come to pass if it were not for faith: the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Heb 11:1

Abraham's servant sought wise counsel from Abraham, just as any employee would be wise to seek advice from his employer.  After being given instruction he did ask some questions.  I wise servant seeks the wisdom from his master. 

We are having a Bible study on the book of James right now.  This past Sunday we covered verses 5-11.  James 1:5&6 says this, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering."
Which brings me back to Genesis 23:12-14.  The servant calls out the Lord for help.  In verse 15 the Lord answers his prayer and the damsel Rebekah appears.  Just as Abraham had told his servant, she offered he and his camels water.  Just as the wise master had said she would do... oh that we would just believe what God says?!  Faith

Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as men pleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God: And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;... Colossians 3:22&23

Abraham and his servant.  What a picture of God's blessings of our faith and obedience to the leaders in our lives and especially our most high leader, Jesus Christ.

3 comments:

  1. interesting read - kp

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your thoughts on the Bible. Seems like 'obedience' is the key to most of our struggles.
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Peradventure, I listen to my husband's advice and things don't go as I would like for them to?"

    :-)

    Made me smile. But the incredible truth is, he's usually right! Now if I would just remember that next time...

    ReplyDelete