Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What's love go to do with it?

Jesus said it this way, "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.  John 13:35 

I think it would be safe to say that, "By this shall all men know that ye are not my disciples, if ye have not love one to another."

Obviously the words I have bolded, Italics or underlined are the words that stick out to me.  However, let's start with the word know.  In my own words, to know something means, "to have knowledge of the truth".  So, if someone knows that I am a disciple in the way that I love others; I think it's safe to say that they have knowledge of the truth that I am a disciple of Jesus Christ

Now, let's say it another way.  Would someone say that they have knowledge of the truth that I am not a disciple of Jesus Christ, because I have not love for others?

Think on this for a few minutes with me.  Who do you not have love for?  Maybe it would be a good idea if we did a study on "love" after we thought about this and then went back and asked the question again.  1 Corinthians 13 would be a good start!  Chairty is an active love.  But that's another post. ;)

Let's talk about "love one to another".  I'm prone to think like this, so I am going to assume that others might feel the same way.  When I read this verse I immediately want to think of myself as a disciple of Jesus Chirst.  Immediately I justify myself by saying to myself, "Who do I love..?".  I love my husband, my daughter, all of our other family... I love my friend so and so and so and so...". 

While I think that is good, I have to consider the "so and so's" that I may not love. (See 1 Corinthians 13)

Jesus said, "love one to another", not love for certain people.  I truly believe from this verse I can know (have knowlede of the truth) that I am to have love for everyone if I am His disciple.

Jesus also said this, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever should believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)  If He can love me this way, how can I not love everyone also? 

Romans 5:8 says it this way, "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."   Are you getting what I'm getting here???  God commedeth his love toward Savannah, in that while Savannah was yet a sinner, Christ died for Savannah.  Go ahead, put your name in.  It's a very humbling thought isn't it?

It's like a spiritual puzzle and all we have to do to enjoy it is put the pieces together.  We can never enjoy a puzzle while it sits in the box or if we lose some of the pieces.  Right here in my Bible I have ALL the pieces; praise God!  What makes this puzzle different than all other puzzles is that it's beautiful even before it's finished.  You can study God's Word little by little everyday and still enjoy it.  But then again, maybe "it is finished"! ;)


I am enjoying this study on LOVE so much!!  I just can't type the joy that I am feeling in my heart as I see how the puzzle comes together of God's amazing love for us... and I've only studied about 4 verses on love so far! :)



1 comment:

  1. Such a wonderful study - wish we all would not only get excited about studying love but actually get excited about doing love! love you;-)

    ReplyDelete